Thursday, October 28, 2010

So...what is a Jellicle Cat again?

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the songs I make reference to or link to. Happy?

So, I've watched the musical Cats about twenty thousand times in the past month or so, and I've decided that maybe I haven't been giving Cats enough credit. Literally, I'm just like, "What the fuck is this musical? What the fuck is a jellicle cat? Does thing even have a plot?"

I'll start by answering the last question: Yes and no. No, because if you ever try to describe this musical in a short amount of words, it's nearly next to impossible. Yes, because...well, it does have a plot. And a fairly interesting one at that. Though, some points are big let downs. Such as Macavity's entrance. Comes with one hell of a theme song, though. Though, as far as Macavity goes, I prefer this. He isn't much of a villain, though. Macavity spends the entire musical being alluded to, and then...well, nothing really happens except the big fight scene after the Macavity song. But Macavity never speaks. He just cackles. Okay, so back to the plot:

So, the notion is that there's a gathering of cats once a year. They're all Jellicle Cats. I'm not sure what a Jellicle Cat is, but ALW said that all cats are Jellicle Cats. Whatever. They all gather so that the leader of the Jellicle Tribe, Old Deuteronomy, can pick a cat that can be reborn. After that, you get a bunch of songs about certain Cats. And for whatever reason, they all hate Grizabella. Apparently, she's the group pariah/exile. She once belonged to the Jellicle tribe, she became a show cat ("glamour cat") who was eventually abandoned and left on the street. She cannot adjust to life as a stray, or rejoin the tribe. So she's an outcast who kind of haunts them. Apparently leaving the Tribe is some sort of blasphemy...so the Jellicle cats are scientologists?

Wow, that was a bad joke. Even for me. Sorry. We'll go back to the plot.

More than half these songs are useless. Seriously. They serve little to no purpose for the plot, but they are so damn catchy that you can't really hate them. Also, Gus the Theatre Cat makes me cry, but that's because of John Mills, who was about ninety something years old when they made this, and was essentially blind while filming.

Cats is also one of those musicals has that one song everybody knows (although, I'd really say three). If you cared enough to click on each link, you'll notice that the song from Cats hasn't been mentioned. I'm talking about Memory. There's a reason for this. Because two of the three times Grizabella shows up on stage, she sings a rendition of Memory. To be honest, I'm a bigger fan of the reprise. It's also the one I know better for some strange reason. Either way, it's a really sad song. It kinda makes me wish I was gonna be a cat for Halloween.

Also. Elaine Paige kills both versions. Really, she does. Also, the chick playing Jemima, (the cat who is singing at the very beginning of the reprise video) Veerle Casteleyn, is extremely talented, even as far as sopranos go.

The original Jemima, who also originated the role of Christine in Phantom of the Opera, Sarah Brightman, is also a talented soprano in her own right. You can attach her name to any musical, and I can guarantee you that people have tried to find a recording of her singing. Anyway, back to Cats.

Although, I feel like this musical is less known for it's music (as well known for the music as it is) and more for it's dancing. Seriously. No wonder Dame Judi Dench ruptured her Achilles' tendon. It's like dancing boot camp. You'd have to be in the greatest shape of your life to even keep up with the choreography, and then, you'd get even fitter from being in the damn musical.

Now, I'd say that Glee should do a cover of one of the songs that isn't Memory. For example...I'd say Puck as Rum Tum Tugger. Oh, God, that'd make me so happy. Glee kind of owes us after that Rocky Horror ep. And don't say that you don't, Glee writers, because transexuals do NOT come from sensational Transylvania. They come from transexual Transylvania. Every RHPS fan knows that.

And also? You owe us for the blantant misuse of Kurt's perfect Riff Raff. Don't believe me? Original. Kurt. Additionally, Quinn has Magenta's voice down to a science. It's beautiful. It makes me want to dress up as Magenta when I go see RHPS tomorrow.

That episode was good for one thing, though. Chord Overstreet is beautiful. I mean, he could stand to look a bit less by Justin Bieber. But he has got a body, that's for sure. Also, Santana singing the opening. That was great too.

So, that's pretty much all I have to say. Happy Halloween if I don't post before then! And I probably won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment