Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Good Thing About Bad Fanfiction

Okay, so, I was recently discussing with an eleven year old about good literature (she's my mini-me. I adore her. ♥), and while I was slightly annoyed that she is better read than I was at that age, it made me realize that people are losing their grip on literature.

This girl, who shall remain nameless, read 'The Color Purple', understood it, and enjoyed it despite it's darker moments. What was even more amazing is that it shocked me that she was so young and so into reading. Especially when the little eleven year old next to hear was like, "I hate reading and I hate writing."

I don't know if you know this about me, but I live to write. Seriously, that's all I ever do in my free time. Oh, and arrange music. But, that's not my point. Writing, and more particularly writing fanfiction, allows us to connect with what we've read, and helps us get a better understanding of the character's motives.

So, bad fanfiction is good. Why? Because those writers are at least attempting to connect with what they've just read.

Note: My Immortal doesn't count. Because the writer is obviously a troll.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that little girl sounds AWESOME.

    I see your point but I can't say I'm a huge fanfiction fan, despite my OBVIOUS talent for it (my Saddle Club stories were totally not controversial, at all). I'm not sure anyone can understand a character better than the person who created them, but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete